Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Week 6 - Musings...

Local Area Network - from Wikipedia

Perhaps it's odd, but the thing that struck me most about this article was the information about Ethernet. As rapidly as technology appears to be changing, it's intriguing that our preferred method of network communication today is through something developed in the mid-1970s. I suppose if it isn't broken, why fix it? I feel like the article itself may have glossed over some useful points about LANs that are covered in the later 'Computer Network' article, while at the same time delving into some technical history and context that doesn't quite translate well as an introduction. I found much more about LAN clarified in the next article.

Computer Network - from Wikipedia

This article was particularly helpful to me in being able to try to distinguish the types of networks I encounter. Working on a college campus, it's helpful to know that features of the Campus Area Network can impact elements of the Local Area Network running in the building where I work. I frequently encounter this interplay when, for instance, our network printer goes down. From experience working with technical services, I've come to recognize some of the differences between our LAN causing problems with the printer vs. the CAN having larger issues that impact the printer. The article was also quite revealing about VPN, which we are finding (in our library) to be of great value for accessing electronic library materials off campus. Individuals accessing campus resources through the VPN interact in an environment that essentially recognizes their machine as being part of the campus network without their needing to be physically present or connected to said network. Practically, for libraries, this bypasses the need for proxy servers when accessing electronic databases that are IP verified. Still, it also raises potential security considerations and copyright concerns if non-campus parties were able to access the VPN (and thus library materials).

Common Types of Computer Networks - YouTube

Essentially a rehashing of the types of networks mentioned in the Wikipedia page, this didn't add much new. If I had watched this first, then read the Wikipedia article, I would have at least known the types of networks that exist. Metropolitan Area Networks, for instance, are ones that I was not familiar with existing. I took for granted that the new wireless systems that have been introduced in numerous cities are actually networks. Presumably these will continue to grow in popularity, as the expectations of ubiquitous wireless are becoming widespread.

Coyle, K. - Management of RFID in Libraries

RFID presents potential to libraries, I do admit - at the same time, Coyle make some rather broad generalizations in her argument that really make her seem disconnected from the reality of library work. RFID would certainly help speed up the checkout process for patrons, but at the same time her assertions that not having to scan barcodes and library cards would somehow reduce repetitive stress injuries is a stretch for me. I work at a circulation desk and I certainly don't find this to be an issue. I, for one, spend as much time helping patrons with reference questions as I do simply checking books out to them and reshelving them.

Considering that more resources are moving to electronic formats anyway, reference and circulation functions are becoming less independent. Patrons aren't as apt to draw a distinction between a reference librarian and a circulation staff person - they approach whoever they believe may answer their question (which is often the person closest to them at the time). What Coyle may be hinting at, but fails to draw out is the fact that RFID is helping to speed along the breakdown of traditional library job descriptions and roles.

As for privacy, I think libraries really need to look very carefully at the implications of this from all angles before wantonly instituting a system such as this. ALA has very strong guidelines developed to help preserve patron privacy, we live in a day and age where privacy is ever more difficult to control. As librarians, we should always be advocates for patron privacy and we don't want to sacrifice that trust or contribute to the erosion of privacy rights simply for the sake of patron convenience (even if it seems most important for patrons).

4 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you on your comments about Ethernet technology. Even computers that are wirelessly enabled still have portals for Ethernet cables. I actually just bought a MacBook, and it has an Ethernet portal. Also, regarding your comments on privacy for patrons when considering implementing RFID technology, do you think there will ever come a time where privacy will not be an issue?
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found the possibilities of RFID technology interesting yet troubling. It seems like you can do so much with it, but what if it is used to track patrons? I don't think anyone wants their library stalking them. This is not to say that any library would do this, but if the possibility is there, you never know when a bad apple will use the system to cause trouble for someone. But I guess as with all technology you have to take the good with the bad, or at least figure out how to curb the bad.
    -Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting point about the effects of RFID on traditional library work! You are completely correct that most library users are likely to think that everyone who works in the library is a librarian. The advent of more advanced technologies could possibly contribute to a decrease in library staff, which is possibly good for library budgets but not for LIS students like myself who are library staff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also thought Coyle's point about RFID reducing repetitive stress injuries was "a stretch," as you put it. The bottom line is, the scanned items still have to be moved to the truck or cart, and they still have to be reshelved. So until we have robots doing that kind of work (and maybe that's not too far off, either!), I don't know that I buy the "less wear-and-tear on the employees" line of this argument. I also agree with your comment about reference and circulation functions becoming less independent. Mostly, I think this blurring of lines comes from the physical location of both the circulation desk and the reference desk. In my local library, the first staff person you see is the one behind the circulation desk. I guess this arrangement was planned to give some protection for the reference librarian, so he or she wouldn't be deluged with the standard "where's the bathroom" questions. But people just naturally go to the first official-looking person they see, and those are the folks behind the circulation desk in my library. I've gotten to know the people at my circulation desk--they're all pleasant and go out of their way to help. So I don't mind the face-to-face interactions with them, and I'd be unhappy if they were outsourced by RFID.

    ReplyDelete